Wednesday, December 22, 2004

New Low Prices For On-Line Video Rentals

Blockbuster has cut the price for its online rental service, undercutting its rivals in an escalating battle for online customers. Blockbuster cut the subscription price for its online rental service by $2.50 to $14.99 a month plus tax effective immediately, and that price is guaranteed through January 2006.

Blockbuster's monthly subscription entitles customers to unlimited rentals, three movies out at a time, with no due dates, no late fees with postage included. Subscribers also receive two free in-store movie or game rentals a month.

By comparison, Blockbuster's competitor Netflix charges $17.99 a month for online rental subscription while Wal-Mart charges from $15.54 per month.

Many long time readers may remember that I have been renting my DVD's on-line from Netflix for several years now. Quite frankly, I love this service. I have over 25,000 titles to choose from, my orders arrive in two days, and I can keep them as long as I want. Because Netflix's service has been so good, I personally have no intention of changing to Blockbuster in order to save $3.00. I have no doubt Netflix will adjust their prices shortly.

If you are not renting your DVD's on-line, I would give it serious consideration, especially at these prices.

No comments: