Friday, December 31, 2004

The World's Most Useful Website

I have been asked on more than one occasion what is my favorite web site. Instead of telling you what is my favorite web site, I think I am going tell you which web site I think is the most useful. That's an easy one for me.

The answer is: My.Yahoo.Com.

Why is it the most useful? Because it is the absolutely perfect site for my needs and because I made it that way. Yes, my friends, I created my.yahoo.com for me. Of course, you can do the same thing. My.yahoo.com is a web portal site...one that you create to fit your own needs. And guess what? Like many of the things I recommend in this web log, it is FREE!!

I have always loved the site and its concept and have used it for years. In the last few months, the folks at Yahoo have gone out of their way to make it even better. The sources of information that you can put on your page is almost infinite.

For instance, on my page, I have headline news from Reuters, BBC World Service, business news, weather for several cities including my own (I pick them), stock quotes and detailed information about my personal stocks, currency quotes, college football news, NFL news, lots of technology news feeds (you might have guessed that since I write a technology blog), scores from teams I care about, airline fare tracker, new DVD releases, new movies released, and TV listing for my favorite channels on the satellite. And that is just the beginning.

My Yahoo also includes an e-mail account. With a link on the page, My Yahoo tells you when have unread mail. By the way, their spam filter is extraordinary. I have had a Yahoo Mail account for several years and I average 1 piece of junk mail every six months that slips through. Not bad.

Part of the their new additions is RSS feeds so you can add your favorite blogs to your page. My two blogs, "Rants and Raves," and "An Artist's Look at Art" are both registered and approved for Yahoo. To put my blog(s) on My Yahoo (or Your Yahoo), you just click on the little "My Yahoo" button on my blog pages and it will automatically be added to your My Yahoo. I tell you this because you will see this little button now on many web sites.

Another addition is the ability to create multiple pages so your main page doesn't become unmanageable. And you can change the appearance of your page anytime you want. The have lots of different colors and backgrounds to choose from. One could spend days exploring what can be added to your page.

If you want to be kept up-to-date with the kind of information that is important to you, check out my.yahoo.com. Set up an account and dig in.

No comments: